This dataset is composed of 4 recording sessions of interacting mice of different strains. In all instances the animals have been placed in a 50x50cm open arena without any form of tagging which may alter their natural behaviour. They are monitored by an infrared camera pointed at them from 1.5m above in the nearly complete darkness. The camera is a FLIR A315 capable of a spacial resolution of 320×240px at 30fps, with a thermal sensitivity of (according to the producer). All the frames are compressed with lossless algorithm in order to preserve the thermal information, unfortunately this leads to a very large file (around 13GB).
With this dataset we provide two types of ground truth. One semi-manual segmentation which uniquely identifies each mouse identity and a frame-by-frame labelling ofthe social behaviour of the interacting animals. The former is stored as CSV images readable with a Matlab script provided, the latter is stored in various xml files readable by ANVIL.
The social behaviours labelled are:
- Nose2Body - Nose of the mouse under analysis closely pointing towards or touching the body of a conspecific (i.e. a cage mate of the same gender and age).
- Nose2Nose - Nose of the mouse under analysis closely pointing towards or touching the nose of a conspecific.
- Nose2Genitals - Nose of the mouse under analysis closely pointing towards or touching the genitals of a conspecific.
- Above - The mouse under analysis climbing on top of a conspecific.
- Following - The mouse under analysis closely following a conspecific.
- WalkAlone - The mouse under analysis walking alone, not close to or in contact with a conspecific.
- StandTogether - The mouse under analysis is relatively motionless and close to a conspecific without any social interaction.
- StandAlone -The mouse under analysis remains relatively motionless and it is not in the proximity of a conspecific.
They have been scored by two experts for three different mice pairs combinations. Also, an avi video colour coded with the mice identities is provided for reference (especially useful for ANVIL).
We provide a set of Matlab scripts to read the data here
The videos and GT can be downloaded from the following URLs:
- DatasetA1 - 30 minutes of 3 mice and 1h30min worth of social interaction labelling. Video and GT. (Tracking GT).
- DatasetA2 - 60 minutes of 3 mice and 2h worth of social interaction labelling. Video and GT.
- DatasetA3 - 60 minutes of 3 mice and 2h worth of social interaction labelling. Video and GT.
- DatasetA4 - 60 minutes of 2 mice and 1h worth of social interaction labelling. Video and GT.