Andrea Trucco received the M.Sc. degree in electronic engineering and the Ph.D. degree in electronic engineering and computer science from the University of Genoa, Italy, in 1994 and 1998, respectively. Since 1999, he has been with the University of Genoa where he is, since 2005, an Associate Professor with the Dept. of Naval, Electrical, Electronic and Telecommunication Engineering (DITEN). His interests are in the areas of signal processing and acoustics with applications to acoustical imaging, acoustic image processing, sonar systems, underwater communications, medical ultrasound, microphone arrays, hearing aids.
He has been Vice-Director of the Dept. of Biophysical and Electronic Engineering (DIBE), at the University of Genoa, from 2008 to 2011, and he is currently Vice-Director of the Italian Interuniversity Centre of Integrated Systems for the Marine Environment (ISME). In 2011, he started a collaboration with the Dept. of Pattern Analysis and Computer Vision (PAVIS) at the Italian Institute of Technology (IIT) where he is currently Senior Researcher.
He has been principal investigator in many research projects, funded by the European Union, several national agencies and many industrial companies. He is an Associate Editor for the IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering and for the IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control. He is author of more than 170 scientific papers (65 of which published in international journals) and is appointed inventor in 7 international patents.
He won, in 1995, the Student Paper Competition organized by the 9th International Symposium on Unmanned Untethered Submersible Technology, and in 1997, the Student Paper Competition organized by the MTS/IEEE Oceans’97 International Conference. He is a senior member of IEEE (S’93–A’99–SM’03) and a member of IAPR.
From the beginning of the collaboration with IIT
- M. Crocco, A. Trucco, “Design of Robust Superdirective Arrays with a Tunable Tradeoff Between Directivity and Frequency-Invariance,” IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 2169-2181, May 2011.
- C. Sciallero, M. Crocco, A. Trucco, “A method for estimating the microbubble concentration in contrast-enhanced ultrasound imaging,” Measurement Science and Technology, vol. 22, no. 11, doi: 10.1088/0957-0233/22/11/114009, 9 pp., November 2011.
- C. Sciallero, G. Paradossi, A. Trucco, “A Preliminary In Vitro Assessment of Polymer-Shelled Microbubbles in Contrast-Enhanced Ultrasound Imaging”, Ultrasonics, vol. 52, no. 3, doi: 10.1016/j.ultras.2011.10.008, pp. 456-464, March 2012.
- M. Crocco, A. Trucco, “Stochastic and Analytic Optimization of Sparse Aperiodic Arrays and Broadband Beamformers With Robust Superdirective Patterns,” IEEE Trans. Audio, Speech and Language Processing, vol. 20, no. 9, doi: 10.1109/TASL.2012.2203808, pp. 2433-2447, November 2012.
- C. Sciallero, A. Trucco, “Ultrasound assessment of polymer-shelled magnetic microbubbles used as dual contrast agents,” Journal of Acoustical Society of America, vol. 133, no. 6, doi: 10.1121/1.4804942, pp. EL478-EL484, June 2013.
- C. Sciallero, D. Grishenkov, S.V.V.N. Kothapalli, L. Oddo, A. Trucco, “Acoustic characterization and contrast imaging of microbubbles encapsulated by polymeric shells coated or filled with magnetic nanoparticles,” Journal of Acoustical Society of America, vol. 134, no. 5, doi: 10.1121/1.4824337, pp. 3918-3930, November 2013.
- M. Palmese, A. Trucco, “Pruned Chirp Zeta Transform Beamforming for 3-D Imaging With Sparse Planar Arrays,” IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, vol. 39, doi: 10.1109/JOE.2013.2252771, pp. 206-211, April 2014.
- M. Crocco, A. Trucco, “Design of superdirective planar arrays with sparse aperiodic layouts for processing broadband signals via 3-D beamforming,” IEEE/ACM Trans. Audio, Speech and Language Processing, vol. 22, no. 4, doi: 10.1109/TASLP.2014.2304635, pp. 800-815, April 2014.
- L. Pellaco, P. Costamagna, A. De Giorgi, A. Greco, L. Magistri, G. Moser, A. Trucco, “Fault diagnosis in fuel cell systems using quantitative models and support vector machines,” Electronics Letters, vol. 50, no. 11, doi: 10.1049/el.2014.0565, pp. 824-826, 22nd May 2014.
- F. Traverso, M. Crocco, A. Trucco, “Design of Frequency-Invariant Robust Beam Patterns by the Oversteering of End-Fire Arrays,” Signal Processing, vol. 99, doi: 10.1016/j.sigpro.2013.12.014, pp. 129-135, June 2014.
- A. Trucco, F. Traverso, M. Crocco, “Broadband performance of superdirective delay-and-sum beamformers steered to end-fire,” Journal of Acoustical Society of America, vol. 135, no. 6, doi: 10.1121/1.4879674, pp. EL331-EL337, June 2014.
- A. Trucco, M. Crocco, “Design of an Optimum Superdirective Beamformer Through Generalized Directivity Maximization,” IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, vol. 62, 12 pages, 2014 (in press).
- C. Sciallero, M. Crocco, A. Trucco, G. Vernazza, “A regression approach to estimate the ultrasound contrast agent concentration” IEEE 6th Int. Symposium on Medical Measurements and Applications, Bari (IT), pp. 202-206, May 2011.
- F. Traverso, M. Crocco, A. Trucco, G. Vernazza, “Tuning the performance of the superdirective frequency-invariant beamforming applied to end-fire arrays,” OCEANS’11 IEEE Santander Conference, Santander (Spain), 7 pages, June 2011.
- F. Traverso, M. Crocco, A. Trucco, G. Vernazza, “Oversteering of End-Fire Arrays with Frequency-Invariant Beam Patterns,” 19th Europ. Signal Processing Conf. (EUSIPCO 2011), Barcelona (Spain), pp. 1332-1336, August-September 2011.
- C. Sciallero, A. Trucco, “A preliminary ultrasound assessment of multimodality contrast agents,” IEEE 7th Int. Symposium on Medical Measurements and Applications (MeMeA 2012), Budapest (Hungary), pp. 154-157, May 2012.
- F. Traverso, A. Trucco, G. Vernazza, “Simulation of non-White and non-Gaussian Underwater Ambient Noise,” OCEANS’12 MTS/IEEE Yeosu Conference, Yeosu (Republic of Korea), 10 pages, May 2012.
- C. Sciallero, M. Crocco, A. Trucco “Energy and Feature-Based Strategies for Estimating the Contrast Agent Concentration in Ultrasound Medical Imaging” 25th IEEE International Symposium on Computer-Based Medical System, Roma (IT), 6 pages, June 2012.
- A. Trucco, F. Traverso, M. Crocco, “Robust Superdirective End-Fire Arrays,” OCEANS’13 IEEE Bergen Conference, Bergen (Norway), doi: 10.1109/OCEANS-Bergen.2013.6607994, pp. 1-6, June 2013.
- F. Traverso, A. Trucco, “Simulation of non-Gaussian noise radiated by underwater vehicle,” 1st International Conference & Exhibition on Underwater Acoustics, Island of Corfu (Greece), pp. 1325-1330, June 2013.
- F. Traverso, A. Trucco, “Analysis of underwater acoustic noise measured at the ship bow during sea trials,” 2nd Int. Conference & Exhibition on Underwater Acoustics, Rhodes (Greece), pp. 631-636, June 2014.
- A. Bordone, R. Bozzano, S. Pensieri, P. Picco, E.M. Schiano, F. Traverso, A. Trucco, “Under sea-ice acoustic noise and propagation measurements in Tethys Bay (Ross Sea, Antarctica),” 2nd Int. Conference & Exhibition on Underwater Acoustics, Rhodes (Greece), pp. 151-156, June 2014.
- M. Crocco, V. Murino, A. Trucco, A. Del Bue, "Towards fully uncalibrated room reconstruction with sound," 22th European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO 2014), Lisbon (Portugal), 5 pages, September 2014.
- A. Trucco, S. Martelli, M. Crocco, “Passive Underwater Imaging Through Optimized Planar Arrays of Hydrophones,” OCEANS’14 MTS / IEEE St. John’s, St. John’s (Canada), 5 pages, September 2014 (in press).
- S. Sciallero, L. B albi, A. Trucco, “Optimizing Enhanced Hybrid Medical Imaging Through Dual-Mode Contrast Agents,” 2014 IEEE Int. Conf. Imaging Systems, & Techniques, 4 pages, October 2014 (in press).