Cigdem Beyan completed her Ph.D. (2015) in Informatics in Institute of Perception, Action and Behaviour (Computer Vision) in University of Edinburgh, UK which was supervised by Prof. Robert B. Fisher.
Prior to that she pursued an MSc degree (2010) in Informatics specialising Computer Vision at the Middle East Technical University, Turkey and graduated from Baskent University Department of Computer Engineering, Turkey with a Bsc. degree (2008).
Among her main research interest there are behaviour understanding, social signal processing, trajectory analysis, anomaly detection, classification of imbalanced data and active learning.
She is also an Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy in recognition of attainment against the UK Professional Standards Framework for teaching and learning support in higher education from 2014.
- Became Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy in recognition of attainment againstthe UK Professional Standards Framework for teaching and learning support in higher education (18/11/2014).
- Edinburgh Global Overseas Research Scholarship (2011-2014)
- Principal Career Development Scholarship, University of Edinburgh (2011-2014)
- Best Thesis Award, given by Prof. Dr. Mustafa N. Parlar Education and Research Foundation Middle East Technical University (METU) Thesis of the year award, 2011.
- 2010-2011 Academic year Best Thesis Award given by Middle East Technical University (METU) to Postgraduate Thesis including all institutes, 2011.
- Alper Atalay Best Student Paper Award, first place, 19th IEEE Conference on Signal Processing and Communications Applications, April 2011.
- SPIE Student Travel Grant, SPIE Defense, Security, and Sensing Symposium, April 2011.
- 2007-2008 Academic Year Baskent University Academic Achievement Scholarship High Honour (GPA: 3.72/4.00).
- 2006-2007 Academic Year Baskent University Academic Achievement Scholarship High Honour (GPA: 3.73/4.00).